Have had appendix removed. Noticed bruise around incision area and tender to touch. Worrisome

General Surgeon
i had my appendix removed about 20 years ago, i have been sick with a flu and extreme coughing while i was coughing it felt like something popped or came loose at the appendix area on my left side. my scar is approx 3" long and now has become bruised. the area is also tender and painful and slightly swallen
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 36 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

According to your symptoms and surgery history it is possible that you are suffering from post surgical hernia. As the tissues has been weakened by incision in appendix area there is always a possibility of hernia in such weakened place. However in most cases it appears in couple of month after surgery, 20 years after it hernia is also possible.
You should have abdominal ultrasound to confirm this diagnose and surgeon consultation. The only treatment of such condition is surgery.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.