Have had an anal fistula plug inserted. Is it normal to stop oozing after taking nexpro 40?

Sep 2012

Hi, I have had an anal fistula plug inserted about 4 years ago, but still have a minor release coming out almost daily from the external opening and soiling my underwear, especially on work days. Recently when I took Nexpro 40 and Lesuride owing to some stomach conditions (gas, constipation) the oozing seemed to stop. Is it concidental? Also, I have a moderately stressful life and take blood pressure medicine (Telma 40) for about 1+ year now. I am a 39 year old male.
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 32 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

The stoppage of the oozing when you have taken Nexpro (esomeprazole), is not coincidental. Because, if you have any indigestion / hyperacidity, that all may lead to this type of oozing. And when you have taken the esomeprazole group of drug, it decreases hyperacidity that causes decrease in the oozing. In our clinical experience, it is common with patients having anal fistula plug.

During the operation for anal fistula plug, sometimes the anal sphincter is compromised. This leads to inability for holding your bowel movement for long time. You may have also feel this. This also leads to the oozing you have mentioned. It is quite common.

All you have to do to reduce this type of oozing are -
1.     Avoid XXXXXXX diet. Avoid fast food.
2.     Do some aerobics to reduce stress in your life.
3.     Take some XXXXXXX leafy vegetables every day.
4.     Take an esomeprazole every day in empty stomach. I am telling you this because the other drugs you are taking may also cause gastrointestinal disturbances. For this reason you can take esomeprazole group of drug daily to reduce drug induced gastrointestinal disturbances.
5.     You can apply any antibacterial ointment every day in the region of fissure. It will keep that area healthy.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Have had an anal fistula plug inserted. Is it normal to stop oozing after taking nexpro 40? 27 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for the note. A simple is whether there is any long term side effect of using Nexpro 40 (Esomeprazole Magnesium); particularly on kidney functioning?

Had read somewhere that PPI (proton pump inhibitors) are not good for long term use. In that case apart from taking this medication, and following the other instructions given by you, what could be done? Also, does lesuride have any role to play as the positive benefit noted was during the use of Lesuride & Nexpro together.

All in all, should I think further in terms of Crohn's disease etc etc also?

Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 27 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

Firstly, there is no research data for such long term complication of nexpro.
You can take Nexpro or any other proton pump inhibitor group of drug.
Lesuride can not be taken for long term.Because this drug has some serious side effects.

So, you can take the proton pump inhibitor group of drug alone.

Overall, I think you are suffering from hyper-acidity, which may be due to gastroesophageal reflux disease or symptoms of Crohn's disease.

Follow-up: Have had an anal fistula plug inserted. Is it normal to stop oozing after taking nexpro 40? 25 hours later
Ok thanks again.

Just wanted to understand how long will this treatment by Nexpro on empty stomach be needed to stop the oozing? Just from a general experience perspective, how long does it take to cure the situation.

Do any other steps need to be taken, especially if the anal sphincter muscle is compromised? More because a long time has already passed; unfortunately no other advice was given to me in this direction earlier.

Thanks & regards.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for writing back.

The duration of nexpro depends on the response of the treatment.
But it can be taken for 2 to 3 months even for years.
The time period for cure of the situation varies person to person.
You can do some exercise to improve the power of muscles of perianal region.
For this you have to consult with a physiotherapist.
Though the effectiveness of this type of exercise is controversial, you can try this.