Have had aerola pierced. Noticed white spots on nipples. What this could be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have my aerola pierced, lately I have notice white spots on my nipples and today in the bath I saw a clump of hard white stuff. I had to use tweezer to pull it out and it was a foul odor. It's not coming from the hole where the rings are but the actual nipple. Im not pregnant so im worried Any idea what this could be.
Posted Thu, 25 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seems to be a blocked gland near the areola. Such minor infections are usually self limiting and improve on their own once the collected sebum is removed. Now that you have cleaned the area, you can apply an ointment like neosporin twice a day for relief.
In case there s persistent pain or swelling and redness associated with discharge from the area, then an infecton is likely which needs a direct examination and systemic antibiotics under care of your physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.