Have had acid reflux problem and noticed lump in neck. Are they related?

Jan 2013

I have noticed a lump in my neck and also have had my acid reflux come back after not having it for over a year. Can the lump be caused by acid reflux? It is just to the right of that little hole-like indention in your neck at the end of my collar bone, almost center but not quite..just to the right. about the size of a steely marble. Hard, does not move when I swallow, no skin changes. Does not really move and I can't feel the whole thing, only the top, not the bottom. I know I can't be sure over the internet, have appt with ENT but it's not for another week. Wrote down XXXXXXX 2 when I first noticed the lump. I did not write how big it was, however. Seem to have more nasal congestion than usual, esp in the morning, but it is clear. Did have a lump sensation inside my throat also, but since resuming taking Nexium, it seems to be improving. Can this be a sign of stomach cancer? What should I make sure my ENT orders as far as tests? What might this be?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the site of neck lump; whether right side or left side.

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of throat/ nasal pathology induced lymph node enlargement.
Persistent acid reflux is associated with peptic ulcer disease and formation of ulcer in stomach/ duodenum.
These ulcers are at high risk of conversion to malignant ulcers (cancer).

Spread of cancer cells from stomach may cause enlargement of lymph nodes in neck but only on left side of neck.
This may also cause formation of nodules on abdominal skin near navel.

You should again consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist & ENT surgeon simultaneously and should go for thorough check up.
As you have nasal congestion, there appears to be high possibility of local nasal pathology.
If neck lump is arising from throat i.e. from tonsil or pharynx then there could be possibility of lump sensation.
You should go for complete blood count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, endoscopy for better clarification.
You should also go for excision biopsy of neck lump and throat swab culture & sensitivity.
As such there appears to no correlation between depression, past history of sepsis, hip replacement, asthma with the present symptoms.

Meanwhile, you should continue Nexium along with prokinetics.
You should perform gargles three times in day; a glass of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt.
Need of antibiotic course will be decided by diagnosed disease and by your treating doctor.

You can ask direct query on this URL:

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Have had acid reflux problem and noticed lump in neck. Are they related? 16 hours later
The lump is almost center but slightly to the right. What do you mean when you say nasal pathology? What are prokinetics?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 7 hours later
Neck lump on right side is least associated with abdominal pathology.
Nasal pathology means disease affecting your nose i.e allergic rhinitis, upper respiratory tract viral or bacterial infection.
Prokinetics are those medicine which increases gastrointestinal motility and helps in keeping stomach empty.
Acid reflux causes damage by reverse movement of acid in gastrointestinal tract.
By increasing gastrointestinal motility, prokinetics propel food and acid ahead not in reverse direction.
Prokinectics are Itopride, Levosulpiride and Cinitapride.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava