Have had accident and advised not to have surgery. Had cat scan. Findings?

What does this mean from my cat scan, they sent me the report but cannot get into the doctor for over a month, i was involved in a major car accident in 2010 head on, fractured from l1 to s1 and it never healed correctly have severe pain and was told by several neuro surgeons and orthopedics that I am not a candidate for surgery because i have a 60 percent chance where the damage is it will cripple me for life. Now I get a new report with what I am going to put here talking about t8 and t9, not sure what they mean with the wording. here is what the report states, Some bridging
endplate osteophyte formation suggesting DISH is seen involving
the mid and lower thoracic spine. There is also minor chronic,
likely developmental, anterior wedging involving what is believed
to be T8 and T9 vertebral bodies.
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. David Okia 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
DISH is Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis

Detailed Answer:

Sorry for the accident, from my experience with similar patients I prefer to explain results of investigation and all the terminologies so that they understand.

DISH is diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis it simply means type of arthritis (joint problem) in your case in vertebral column(spine) with abundant abnormal bone formation. This abnormal bone formation gives rise to end plate osteophyte mentioned in your report. This osteophytes can extend to normal tissues surrounding your spine. That means there is abnormal bone growth in thoracic vertebra(bone number 8 and 9). All these happens because after the accident the normal position of most bones are distorted so the body tries to increase surface area of joints in spine in your case.

Having explained the above I usually encourage my patients to see physiotherapist for further management. Physiotherapy helps to relieve the pain and I usually give in addition pain killers like ibuprofen to my patients.

Hope I answered your question, will be happy to help you, if you have more questions.