Have had a sore throat with swelling. Difficult to swallow. What can be done?

ENT Specialist
I have had a sore throat for the last two weeks, i have had an incredibly hoarse sore and low voice for these two weeks as well. My throat is swollen and hurts like a hot poker right by my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX There is also a clicking feeling when i swallow with out tea or water in my throat.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 43 minutes later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding your throat problem for last two weeks. As you said that you are hving sore throat with change in voice, shooting pain with clicking sound on swallowing.

Considering your all complaints in all aspect it appears that you are suffering from Acute laryngitis.

You are advice for follwing investigations-

(a) X-Ray chest - P.A. view.

(b) Culture and sensitivity of throat swab.

(c) Blood- CBC, ESR, blood sugar F. & P.P., Serum creatinin.

(d) Urine - Routine & Microscopic.

After this much work till the reports of investigations are awaited you can take-

(1) Antibiotic- Amoxicillin 625 mg three times a day.Later on this antibiotic may be changed according to culture report.

(2) Analgesic- Paracetamol 500 mg three times a day.

(3) Decongestent and mucolytic.

(4) Steam inhalation.

I hope above treatment will help you , but if you don't get complete relief by this treatment than please consult an ENT specialist for thorough examination and clinical co-relation with investigations and treatment.