Have had a sore knuckle. Hurts to touch. Could it be fracture?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have had a sore knuckle (middle finger) for a few months now and I dont remember banging it. At first I tought it was arthritis starting as it runs in my family, However this morning it looks bruised and has got progressively worse throughout the day. It only hurts to touch and I cant open bottle lids etc with it, could it be a fracture? I can feel waht is like a fluid and also I have noticed a small nic which looks like a tiny cut?
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 minutes later

It looks like you have synovitis of interphalangeal joint of middle finger. This is a condition where the membrane lining the joint gets angry and red, which leads to an accumulation of fluid. You should also try and recall if there is any history of hurting yourself in that peculiar spot. In that case, we could also be dealing with a fracture and fluid like feeling may be haematoma.
I would suggest that you see your general physician. We would need a formal examination and probably a X-ray of the hand to confirm these changes.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health