Have had a polyp removed from colon. Family history of cancer. Looking for suggestion

Question
Both of my parents have died from different types of cancer in their mid fifties. My mother died from brain cancer and my father from colon cancer. Does this mean that I will deffinately develop some form of the disease at some point in my life, is it likely to be at the same age and the same type? I have already had a polyp removed from my colon at the age of 30 and have been told to have colonoscopy every year......
0000
Thanks
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 1 hour later

First of all, just to be clear from the beginning, the fact that your parents have died from different types of cancer does not mean that you will develop some form of the disease at some point in your life.

About 5% of brain tumors may be linked to hereditary factors or conditions, while it is estimated that 5 to 10 percent of all colon cancers are explained by a specific genetic susceptibility.

Brain cancer and colon cancer are different diseases so there is not a common risk factor for the two different cancers affecting your parents. If you include simple non-melanoma skin cancers then all adults run about one chance in three of developing some type of cancer in their lifetime and I do not see any reason that you should have any higher risk.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Have had a polyp removed from colon. Family history of cancer. Looking for suggestion 21 hours later
Helloo,

Thank you for your answer, it was very positive for me.

Would the 5% of brain cancers that may be linked to hereditary factors be of certain type, as I happen to know the type my mother had - glioblastom? - or are the statistics based on number of cases, rather then type?

Also, do you think that it is necessary for me to have colonoscopy every year since the polyp was found 5 years ago ( think it was called adenom and it was certainly the type that could become cancerous if not found and removed on time)?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 2 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

The statistics are based on number of cases, rather then type. It is very hard to find reliable statistics based on type, because this topic is still very unclear even for researchers.

Regarding colonoscopy, I know it is not a very comfortable investigation, but you are young and knowing all the facts you have presented me, I would recommend too to have it every year. It is better to do it for nothing than to miss anything.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Have had a polyp removed from colon. Family history of cancer. Looking for suggestion 3 days later
Thank you, very much!

You're welcome!

Any time at your disposal,

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD