Have had a mirena. Started gaining weight, frequent urination and headache. Should I be worried?

i have had the mirena in now for 3years and ive suddenly started to gain weight fast, im eating alot more, urinating more often and am breaking out in pimples like never before and the cramps i have suffered from since having the mirena in has gotten worse in the last 3 months. my moods have changed and im alot more emotional, also my headaches are getting worse by the day and staying for longer each time what could be the cause of this and should i be worried?
Posted Thu, 18 Oct 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Your symptoms are very typical and are seen in some women who opt Mirena.Mirena contains high levels of hormones and these high levels inhibit the ovulation and prevent conception.

Some do well with the Mirena but others do present with numerous side effects as you do.You do have most of the typical side effects seen due to Mirena.

I suggest you to get the Mirena removed and try another birth control measure under the guidance of your gynecologist.It takes only few weeks for the side effects to disappear and loose weight after it has been removed.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you speedy recovery.