Have had a cough for a few days. Vomited mucous that was clear and yellow. Bronchitis?

ive had a cough for a few days. it was relatively mild and started to subside then hit tonite with a vengeance. My mom in a nursing home immediately seemed to catch it..but seemed within 24 hrs to be improving. There is no fever but tonite i coughed so hard that i suppose i triggered the gag reflex? I involunarily spit up/vomited mucous that was clear and yellow. I have a feeling its bronchitis and that i should not risk reinfecting my mom or others at nursing home... I have NO fever. but its a painful productive but hacking cough. MOSTLY, wondering about the significance of the YELLOW fleghm/muscous.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 minutes later
From your symptoms it looks like a case of bronchitis. Acute bronchitis is an infection of the bronchial tubes that is almost always caused by a virus. The virus causes the bronchial tubes to become infected and swell up, making it very difficult to breathe. Thick mucus is often formed, which must be coughed up.

Diagnosis is done by physical examination. Sometimes chest X-ray may be needed.
Drink plenty of fluids. Use an over-the-counter cough medicine after consulting your doctor. Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. In addition, take anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and paracetamol (acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician. Sucking hard candies and ginger lemon tea can also be done.

Most of the bronchitis is self limiting due to being caused by viruses. If it persists then you may need a course of antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.