Ask a Urologist   »  

Have had a bladder infection. Noticed itchy pink spot on penis head. Could it be balanitis?

Question
penis issueswell my name is XXXXXXX & I'm a 29yr. old male. well I have always had a few pink spots on the head of my penis, yet frequently my penis itches under the head. I have had a bladder infection & my doctor checked me & ran urine samples & said it doesn't look serious. my question, could it be balantitis, yeast??
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 35 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question,
Balanitis is an infection of the penile furrow, the space between the head of the penis and the shaft. A yeast as well as a bacterial or viral infection could cause this.
In your case most probably, I think a urine cast, culture and antibiotic sensitivity tests done.
Identification of the specific and drug to act on it are key aspects in the management.
Suggest you consult your doctor for reevaluation and getting these tests done.
Hope this helps,
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Have had a bladder infection. Noticed itchy pink spot on penis head. Could it be balanitis? 32 minutes later
there was no infection from the urine sample at my urologist and I had a ct scan on bladder & kidneys and all was clear except for a mild case of diverticulitis.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 minutes later
hi and thanks for the time clarification,
its very possible, it could be of fungal, viral or bacterial origin. Distinguishing these infection types is capital in choosing the appropriate drug. Viral infections shall general form vesicles and break to form wounds that itch. Fungal infections form crusts or discolorations that might or might not itch as well as yeast.
A physical examination by the physician is important in making these differences and choosing the appropriate treatment.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD

Follow-up: Have had a bladder infection. Noticed itchy pink spot on penis head. Could it be balanitis? 14 minutes later
well my doctor said it wasn't herpes or anything so that gave me piece of mind

Hi and thanks for the query,
Fungal infections could certainly then be most implicated. Creams containing steroids, anti fungals and anti biotics for at least a week are a good option worth trying.
While waiting to XXXXXXX the physical for reevaluation. I think it should be fungal or bacterial then,
Luchuo, MD.