Have had a bad arthritis attack. Can I take cortisone acetate while on BP tablets karvezide?

Can I take cortisone acetate while on blood pressure tablets - karvezide.
I only want to take for 3 weeks maximum as I have had a bad arthritis attack
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 37 minutes later
Respected Sir
1. Cortisone (a steroid) is known to increase blood pressure, cause retention of fluid, decrease in blood potassium levels and worsening of heart failure. All these effects may result in increase in blood pressure, increase in shortness of breath on walking and edema of feet. Before this prescription of cortisone, your cardiac status should also be evaluated. Not only pumping of your heart (systolic function) but also it's relaxability (diastolic function) should be assessed.
2. It can cause gastric ulcer and weakness of bones.Your electrolytes (sodium, potassium ) and renal functions should be checked. Your propensity for a gastric or stomach ulcer should be checked. your propensity for weak bones (osteoporosis) should be evaluated.
3. Best way out is to make your "arthritis specialist" talk to your cardiologist. If he thinks cortisone is a must, then cardiologist will change your medication & will put you under intense monitoring of blood pressure. Other side effects should also be monitored and requisite precautions should be taken.
Feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: Have had a bad arthritis attack. Can I take cortisone acetate while on BP tablets karvezide? 3 minutes later
Thank you for that
I do realise these long term side affects but are they likely to happen if I am only taking the drug for a maximum of 3 weeks
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 16 minutes later
Respected Sir
1. Effect on fluids, electrolytes and your blood pressure will manifest even with short term therapy. Even effect on stomach can come up in 3 weeks.
2. Only effect on bones will take more time, but if you have pre-existing osteoporosis, even 3 weeks therapy will have a worsening effect.
Please feel free to ask , if there is anything more. I would be glad to discuss.