Have had PET scan done. What does results indicate?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I was reading over my PET scan results and one area concerned me despite being told everything was great. "Osseous structures: Cone scintigrapy is more sensitive for detection of osteoblastic metastatic disease and PET more sensitive for osteolytic lesions, suggesting the imaging modalities should be regarded as complementary, and should not replace each other. Otherwise, no evidence of malignant glucose activity.
Posted Mon, 7 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be concerned

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Well PET scan is standard test used for follow up after any,especially abdominal cancers. This is used to rule out metastases in liver, bowel,lungs, brain and bones.
While it is very specific for tumors in liver,lungs and brain, it may be less specific for bone lesions(osteoblastic).Osteoblastic lesion means that there is growing primary bone tumour(this is very rare). Osteolytic means that there is bone destruction and it indicates metastases. So,at this point you need test that can rule out metastases and this is PET.So if this is negative you dont have to be worried at all. Even osteoblastic lesions can be ruled out by PET but there is about 10% of false negative results which is actually negligible considering tumors rarity. So I dont think it is necessary to do scintigraphy at all.
Also,anal cancers rarely metastasis to bones,it is most important that your liver is clear. So just go straight.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask.
Follow-up: Have had PET scan done. What does results indicate? 12 minutes later
Thank you for the answer. I feel better. I'm not sure what "so just go straight" means. If it's sexuality then yes I am straight. I actually didn't have any of the risk factors for this type of cancer except a cheating ex-husband. My doctors said that because the anal region is so close that even without risk factors it could go there.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
no.I didnt mean sexually. i wanted to say, not to worry and move on. there is no need to do some complicated unnecessary diagnostic tests: PET is accurate enough and you can be calm if PET is negative.
Anal cancer is related to HPV,but also it is not common cancer,especially in your age. i am sure it was localized when it was found so relaps is not likely to happen.