Have had MRI. What does it mean?

General Surgeon
I just got an MRI result back that reads" Enlargement of the palatine tonsils that is likely reactive, Tiny nodular signal abnormality in the superficial left poratid gland, probably representing an intraparotid lymph node. BIlateral maxillary retention cysts and mild bilateral ethmoid mucosal thickening'
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nodularity means enlargement of lymphnode

Detailed Answer:

First,i would like to know the reason for taking an higher investigation like MRI.

Nodularity means enlargement of lymphnode.
There are multiple lymphnodes in the body.They get enlarged in various conditions.
Multiple enlarged lymphnodes can be due to Infections like Tuberculosis,lymphoma's.
Specific enlargement is seen is infection of their drainage areas.

Normally,there will be a lymphnode in relation to parotid salivary gland.It can be enlarged in infection of the gland are its drainage site.So,infection in that area has to be ruled out first.

Tonsils that are present in the mouth are enlarged.
Retention cysts are fluid filled swellings that have occured in maxillary area in you.
Ethmoidal sinus is present in the facial bones and the inner lining.i.e.mucosa is thickened.

All these findings go in favour of infection.

I prescribe antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicines to my patients with similar complaints.Betadine mouth gargles will also be helpful.

Nothing to worry.

Hope i answered your query.

If you have any queries,i will clarify.

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Have had MRI. What does it mean? 1 hour later
The reason for the MRI was because I have a positive XXXXXXX ( lupus suspicious but dont XXXXXXX all
Criteria) and history of tingling and some pain in arms and legs lasting only short periods of time a few times a week. I have an enlarged groin lymph node too that I just took an ultrasound for. What could it be and should I get bloodwork?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 46 hours later
Brief Answer:
Enlarged groin node can be due to infection.

Detailed Answer:

Groin lymphnodes are commonly enlarged in infection of the lowerlimb.Please check if there is any infection of the corresponding leg.I prefer excision of the lymphnode and send it for histopathological examination(biopsy).

I do blood tests after biopsy report only.
Ultrasound just gives enlargement of the node and surrounding nodes.The nature of the node will be known by biopsy report only.

Wish you good health