Have had Lipid Profile done. Does result indicates anything serious?

Cardiologist
Question
I have just got my Lipid Profile report. The values are Total Cholesterol 201 mg/dl, HDL- 33 mg/dl, LDL- 107.4 mg/dl Non HDL- 168 mg/dl & Triglyceride- 303 mg/dl. Is this something serious ?
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: please see belw Detailed Answer: Dear Sir The interpretation of cholesterol profile require clinical information also. Can you share that 1. If you are a smoker? 2. If you are a diabetic or have high blood pressure? 3. If your first degree family member had heart attack or angina ? if yes , at what age it started? 4. If you have any pre-existing medical illness? Do you smoke or drink alcohol. What is your predominant diet. I will be ale to calculate your target cholesterol level with this information and elaborate you. Sincerely Sukhvinder XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Have had Lipid Profile done. Does result indicates anything serious? 22 minutes later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX My answers to your questions are below: 1. If you are a smoker?- No I do not Smoke 2. If you are a diabetic or have high blood pressure?- No 3. If your first degree family member had heart attack or angina ? if yes , at what age it started?- No 4. If you have any pre-existing medical illness? Do you smoke or drink alcohol. What is your predominant diet.- I am slim with a balance wt. I was a casual drinker in the past ( for around 5-6 years) & let it for last 4 years. I do not has pre existing medical illness as such. Occasional cold, weakness etc is their. Regards XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: please see details Detailed Answer: Dear Sir Your target LDL cholesterol is 160 mg/dl hence it is within normal limits. It is the primary target of all evaluation. 2. Your non-HDL cholesterol is also within normal limit (target is 190 mg/dl in your case). Hence no drugs treatment is warranted. 3. You Triglyceride is higher than normal but do not panic. It should be <150 mg/ dl. The only thing required for this is life style modification. Do not smoke. Do not drink. Maintain ideal body weight (body mass index~23). Do regular physical exercise. Avoid excess of cereals and carbohydrates and can replace them with unsaturated fats. Seems paradoxical but is true for triglyceride control. Can consult a dietitian regarding same. Sincerely Sukhvinder