Have had Laryngoscopy where Vocal cords can be viewed. Further?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Aug 2013
Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Question
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX

In continuation of the e-mail received, please find attached second prescription with Laryngoscopy reports where in Vocal nodules can be viewed. Kindly suggest further.

Thanks and Regards

Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
seems to be vocal cord nodule

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

From the reports which you have presented, it seems most likely to be vocal cord nodules only and the treatment which I had suggested earlier in the query holds good.

I would also mention that the reports were not very clear even now and I usually trust only something I see by myself! So the final diagnosis as far as I am concerned is what I would see with my scopes. Nevertheless from your reports it seems most likely to be nodules.

Let me also add that the reports do not suggest anything serious and there is no sign of any lesion which can be a cause for concern like a malignancy, so you can lay your fears to rest.

I would in your case again suggest vocal hygiene and surgery

Hope your doubts are cleared and I will be happy to answer any more

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan

Follow-up: Have had Laryngoscopy where Vocal cords can be viewed. Further? 26 minutes later
That means, will it require a surgery, or we can wait a little with vocal hygiene

Regds

Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
First vocal hygiene and then surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dr XXXXXXX

I am so sorry that I did not mention this earlier.

In all my patients with vocal cord nodules such as what is seen in the report, I would first start the vocal hygiene and speech therapy first for a period of at least one month which is definitely advised in your case also.

Many a times the nodules will regress and sometimes may even disappear if you do the vocal hygiene and speech therapy properly. It will also help you in your post operative state.

So in conclusion, wait with vocal hygiene and speech therapy for a month and repeat the scopy and if the nodules have not regressed and have in fact enlarged then and only then go for surgery.

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan