Have had CT Scan for sinus problem. What are the findings?

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
CT scan PNS
Impression:
* Bilateral mucosal thickening in maxillary sinuses
* Bilateral soft tissue density opacification in infundibulum, maxillary ostium with compromise of OMCs
* Bilateral moderate inflammatory changes in ethmoid sinuses

Kindly suggest medicine if can be cured by medicine.
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chronic sinusitis; medical management possible

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Sorry to hear about your problem. From the CT scan report you have shared, it looks like you have been having this problem for quite sometime. There is evidence of chronic inflammation in most of your sinuses, which can present as chronic headache and difficulty in breathing (stuffy nose). These changes are mostly allergic and respond well to nasal steroid sprays and steam inhalation.
Surgery is indicated if these sprays fail to control these symptoms or polyps develop in the sinuses.
My advise to you would be to consult an ENT surgeon, who can carry out an examination of your sinuses and start you on these medications.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.

Follow-up: Have had CT Scan for sinus problem. What are the findings? 30 minutes later
Dear Sir,

Already I have consult with one ENT surgeon on 12.8.2013, he is advising for surgery, but I never tried for nasal steroid sprays and steam inhalation, shall I straightly go for surgery, then what will be the consequences.

Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Try steroid spray before surgery

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for asking your question. I feel a trial of steroid spray is advisable before going for surgery because this problem tends to recur after surgery as well. Even after surgery you will be put on these steroid sprays.
I can tell you this by experience, because I suffer from the same problem.

Hoping for the best.

Follow-up: Have had CT Scan for sinus problem. What are the findings? 13 minutes later
Dear Sir,

In report they have mentioned about nasal septum, would this give any problem, for this any surgery is required.

Brief Answer:
Septoplasty can be done

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

For a deviated nasal septum a septoplasty can be done but that will not treat all the symptoms you are suffering from.