Have had Blood test. What does the results indicate?

My blood test showed total protein is 8.2 and albumin 4.2. What does that indicate? Cholesterol is 239 ldl 168. I quit my cholesterol medicine. Should I go back on it?
Thank you XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 2 Sep 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Normal proteins, high lipids, go back to drugs.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you so much for this query.

From the results you have posted, the total protein and albumin are all normal. Proteins are indicative of your nutritional levels while albumin evaluates the synthetic activity of the liver.

The lipids values are higher than the desirable normal values. This increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases like stroke, heart attack, and poor blood supply to organs. It is best to get it controlled through diet(decreased lipids consumption), lifestyle modification(physical exercise) and medications. Talk to your doctor and see how you return to your drugs to help achieve these goals.

Hope this addresses your query fully. I wish you good health. Feel free to ask related follow up questions and I will gladly address them.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Have had Blood test. What does the results indicate? 25 minutes later
I was wrong it was my GLOBULIN was 4.2.My ALBUMIN was 4.0 How is that?
Brief Answer:
Globulin 4.2: slightly high. Albumin of 4 normal

Detailed Answer:
I totally understand the mix up. It can happen to any one. Don't feel any bad about it.

A globulin of 4.2 is slightly higher than the upper normal of 3.5. Please, check with the lab to make sure they don't have any differences in normal values range as they at times vary slightly fro laboratory to laboratory. This relates to antibodies and high levels may signal a chronic infection, inflammatory state, or liver disease, etc. However, the first step here should be that you control it after a while before we start looking for possible reasons of abnormal values unless there are strong reasons to do so now.

I hope this helps. Feel free to continue the exchange if need be. I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Have had Blood test. What does the results indicate? 2 hours later
HOw do I control it?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up testing in 4weeks(laboratory)

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the follow up and sorry for not being very explicit hen i talked of control.

By control I mean a follow up test in about 4weeks. If it still remains the same, then it would be considered abnormal before acting on. This is because it is not too far off from the normal and you are not having any symptoms that prompt immediate investigation.

I wish you well and hope you it is clear for your understanding.
Dr. Ditah, MD