Have hacking chesty cough and mucus. Told to have clear chest. What could be cause for coughing?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Good morning
I have a hacking chesty cough which I cough up mucus I went too my dr and he tells me my chest is clear
Can you please tell me if my chest is clear how can I be coughing like I have a chest infection
Thank you for our time
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 39 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
Well there are various lung conditions which can cause coughing without significant chest xray or auscultatory finding. Doctor can verify is there pneumonia or bronchitis,bacterial. Also if this is just the beginning of infection it could not been detectable yet.Some viral pneumonias, throat infection,allergies, chronic bronchitis,asthma should be evaluated by some more specific tests.
but you don't have to do it eight now. Cough is probably caused by some acute respiratory infection and you should do tests only if this lasts for mote than 7 days or if chest pain and breathing difficulties occur.
so this is good for you that your chest is clear and you don't have to be worried.just avoid cold drinks,smoking and loud talking. If cough progresses you can take some antitusics and mucolytics for it.
wish you good health. Regards.if you have questions I ll be glad to help