Have gum infection and viral meningitis from shingles. Taking erythromycin. Will it be cured?

Dermatologist
Question
I WAS INFECTED WITH THE CHICKENPOX VIRUS ABOUT SIX YEARS AGO BY A PLUMBER I HAVE SEEN AND TOLD HE SHOULD BE ARRESTED FOR DELIBERATELY INFECTING ME . HE TOO HAD ANTIBIOTICS FOR A CHEST INFECTION. . HE SHOULD BE SUED DON'T YOU THINK DOCTOR. I DEVELOPED LEFT-HAND SIDE SCALP SHINGLES WENT TO XXXXXXX VALE HOSPITAL , SHOWED A DOCTOR THE REPORT AND A COP TURNED UP AND SAW THE MEDICAL EVIDENCE AND DETAINED ME, I HAVE BEEN INFORMED , THE DOCTOR AND THE COP CAN DO 2 YEARS' JAIL.
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 1 hour later

It is quiet unfortunate to know the sequence of events that happened to you. Well I don't have any knowledge about laws of your land governing communicable disease. But can give you some good advice regarding shingles.

You mentioned it is involving left side of your scalp. The problem with this location is that topical modication like topical anaesthesia is difficult to apply. And as scalp symptoms may progress to involve eye, keep a watch and look out for redness of eyes or lesions on tip of nose. Plan a visit to an ophthalmologist if they occur.

Pain killers are of use only in severe cases, and for a short time.
In milder cases and for prolonged use ginseng (which you are already taking ) and capsule gabapentene are of great help. If there is burning sensation you can apply ice. This helps.

Hope my advice can do a bit for you. Feel free to ask any further doubt.

Follow-up: Have gum infection and viral meningitis from shingles. Taking erythromycin. Will it be cured? 27 hours later
I might have viral meningitis from shingles . This time the entire head and shoulders was affected and that ia very, very XXXXXXX . I have a gum infection AS A SECONDARY COMPLICATION . >TEETH NUMB . I AM ON AN ANTIBIOTIC CALLED ERTHROMYCIN . WILL THIS TREAT VIRAL MENINGITIS CAUSES FROM SHINGLES . I AM FEELING A TAD STRONGER

Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 hours later
Thanks for the follow up query ,

It is not meningitis, though meningitis can occur as a complication of chicken pox, but not with shingles.
Both chicken pox and shingles are caused by same virus, but the character of virus changes.
So please be assured, you are totally safe. There is no threat to life.

Regarding numbness and secondary infection of gums. This is common with shingles, when it involves the face and scalp area.
Erythromycin can cure this infection, so please continue with it.

I hope I have cleared your doubts.

Thank you