Have grey hair from long, have stress problems and nervous. Cause and treatment of grey hair?

iam 21 years old and i have grey hair from i was 15 . and i have so many stress problems and nervous because of my bad family like a woman lost in street and always thinking. is their certain loss of vitamin causes grey hair or any kind of treatment
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
usually a genetic cause

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Premature gray hair is usually because of a genetic or inherited cause.

Hair follicles contain a pigment called melanin which gives hair its colour. When the body stops making melanin then the hair becomes gray or white.

There are other factors than family inheritance that can cause early graying of hair such as : (1) food with insufficient protein , vitamin B12, folic acid- in some persons increasing the use of folic acid and vitamin B12 can also cause the hair to regain some of its colour

(2) thyroid disease

(3) vitiligo- this is an autoimmune disease that causes the hair and skin to lose its pigmentation. This is diagnosed based on history, physical examination of the skin and hair as well as investigations. The investigations include skin biopsy of any areas of the skin that may have loss pigment.
Treatment is with various creams and light therapy.

(4)smoking - this has also been found to be linked to premature gray hair

You can consider visiting your doctor for an assessment and blood tests to check your thyroid hormone level.

In addition an assessment for vitiligo can be done at this time.

You may also want to supplement with vitamin B12 and folate.

Some persons with early gray hair and no other cause than genetics can (1) allow the hair to remain untouched. Many persons who gray early are using it as a fashion statement

(2)dye it with permanent or semipermanent XXXXXXX

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any additional questions
Follow-up: Have grey hair from long, have stress problems and nervous. Cause and treatment of grey hair? 6 hours later
thank u very much because u r the first dr have mentioned reasons for melanin loss they told me no reasons.1- about genetics we dun have any from father or mother family person have grey hair before 35 and my father and his brothers untill now have lil grey hair. and i did a blood test already becuase of my hair loss it was very very thick and we dont have ellopicia my grabd father have thick hair untill now and its clear from my bad nutrition and nails i have loss in vitamins and folic acid when i will get the results i will tell u.3- stress have very very big stress because of bad family and experiment in childhood and i go to psychologist 4- vitiligo i thought its clear on skin and my skin doesnt have or isnt always clear? and also the doctor gave pills he told me it wont make the grey hair black but it will not let any more grey hair. i dunno if this pills true or not and if its good for a girl in my age because it has collagen while iam small and my skin is very good like a baby skin.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It may help to add folate and vitamin b12

Detailed Answer:

The supplement that you are currently using has vitamin c and gluatathione. The vitamin c would be helpful in the immune system. At present there are no studies indicating that these would be helpful for hair pigmentation.

If you can use a supplement with vitamin b12 and folate , it may help. It helps some persons.

IN terms of the vitiligo, it is only one of the possible causes of loss of hair pigmentation. If you do not have any lesions on your skin then it is unlikely to be present.

Please feel free to contact with any other queries