Have grade IV brain cancer. Should I go for operation or chemotherapy?

Nov 2013

my cousin has a WHO Grade IV brain cancer , should i get her operated or straightway start chemo therapy
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Grade IV tumor of brain (high grade glioma) does not have very good prognosis in the long term.

Surgery has already been done for your cousin, as per the discharge summary.

At this stage, she would require radiation therapy with chemotherapy.

Please get in touch with her oncologist for the treatment planning.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow-up: Have grade IV brain cancer. Should I go for operation or chemotherapy? 40 hours later
Between Hinduja ( mumbai ) and Tata Memorial Hospital ( mumbai ), which hospital has a better success rate and besides hospital formalities and medication , what other preparation/ preparedness.. we as a family need to do before she undergoes Radiation and Chemo , in terms of mental and health fitness ?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

In my opinion, Tata Memorial Hospital has a better reputation and expertise for treating cancers, however, Hinduja is a very good multi-speciality hospital. So, you may opt for TMH.

There is no special prepraredness, except to keep the patient in good and positive spirits about the illness and chances of recovery. Also, a good and healthy diet is important.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)