Have got multiple chronic illness, epilepsy and sjogrens. Blood work done. What should I do?

Excellent
Question
hi: i've got multiple chronic ilnesses. RA x 20 years, epilepsy and sjogrens. My last RA blood work was:
showed low CO2 - it was 17 with normal being between 19-32
high hemoglobin, high hematocrit and high MCV
myCRP was also high
My question is : should I have this looked at further..or just wait until I have bloodwork drawn again at my regular RA visit in September?
Posted Sat, 4 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 1 hour later

To help me guide you better, please answer to the following questions:

Have you recently suffered from dehydration, severe vomiting or diarrhea, or excessive sweating?
Was a bicarbonate level also done? If yes, what were the results?
Do you feel anxious a lot of time?
How high were hemoglobin, hematocrit, MCV and CRP? Before this episode, what were the lab results when you had blood work drawn and how were the results then?

I am looking forward to your reply.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD

Follow-up: Have got multiple chronic illness, epilepsy and sjogrens. Blood work done. What should I do? 1 hour later
Hey: I do not suffer from anxiety...I'm a Marriage and Family therapist, so I do know the symptoms. No, I have not had dehydration, vomiting or excessive sweating..I do have frequent diarrhea. I don't think I had the bicarbonate levels performed.
Hemoglobin was 15.2 on a 12 to 15 scale
hematocrit was 46.9 on a 36 to 46 scale
MCV was 101.5 on a 78 to 100 scale
On previous bloodwork--all wa snormal except for CRP and a MCV of 101.6
I hope this helps

Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 4 hours later

Thanks for your reply.

The hemoglobin or red blood cell count is perceived to be abnormally high due to an increased concentration of blood and this can happen as a result of plasma volume loss from diarrhea.

Anyway, hemoglobin, hematocrit and MCV have been just slightly modified, while CRP was high last time too. So, in my opinion, just wait until you have bloodwork drawn again at your regular RA visit in September.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD