Have goosebumps, cold feeling in body, pain in ear and shoulder, dizziness. Taken Advil. Help

Question
I am 63 years old. About a week ago, I started experiencing goose bumps, a cold feeling in my body along with pain in my right ear and shoulder and intermittent dizziness. I visited a doctor for a check up and he stated that I do not have an ear infection or any significant body temperature which would have indicated a fever. He casually sent me home with no diagnosis of medication. I took and Advil for Cold and Sinus and that helped. I have not taken another pill since then because I wanted to see if the problem would resolve itself. Unfortunately, I'm still experiencing the problem, and am at my wits end. Help
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 1 hour later
thanks for the query

Your symptoms though your doctor ruled out an ear infection appear as though an ear infection. Ear pain and dizziness are frequently seen in ear infections in adults.

Your ear canal has to be examined with an otoscope and tympanic membrane examined thoroughly. In addition at least a full blood count test should have been done to have an idea of your blood picture.

Advil is an antiinflammatory and the fact that you felt better implies there is definitely an inflammatory process going on in your body.

You did mentioned about a cold; cold is a viral disease and it is capable of causing inflammation of an extensive area in the upper respiratory region and extending to the ear. Unfortunately, viral disease are only treated symptomatically by keeping warm, taking pain killers, etc.

In my opinion, you should XXXXXXX an internist for proper examination and at least a full blood count and a fasting blood sugar.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to respond.

Best regards

Follow-up: Have goosebumps, cold feeling in body, pain in ear and shoulder, dizziness. Taken Advil. Help 1 hour later
The cold I mentioned has to do with body temperature and not the common cold. I do not have even a sniffle. ls it okay for me to continue taking at least 1 Advil cold and sinus for the next 10-days if needed until my doctor returns from vacation? The doctor I visited recently is not my family physician. I appreciate and thank you for your prompt response.

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 11 minutes later
thanks once more for the query.

Advil like i said earlier is an anti-inflammatory drug and will not treat any underlying infectious problem if any exist. However, 1 advil tablet a day or occasionally has little or no major adverse effect. But you should take with food.
If you could XXXXXXX another doctor for detail examination for fear of allowing your problem worsening it within the 10days interval, that would be the better option.

Best regards