Have giddiness, attack of indigestion and rash from neurological medication. Solution?

Nov 2013

My father is 72 years old. He faints sometimes, for last couple of months, after an attack of indigestion and once when he had a rash, possibly from a neurological medication. He has undergone many tests like ECG, holter monitoring, extended holter (ELR), brain CT scan, Tilt test, EEG. Consulted with many cardiologists and gastroenterologists. No positive diagnosis. No remedy yet. Is there any solution?
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 35 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.
The most common causes of episodic fainting include:
1. Syncope- due to lack of blood flow to brain due to poor cardiac output. This has been excluded by a normal head up tilt test (HUTT).
2. Epilepsy or seizures- This can be excluded by EEG, however, EEG may be normal in some cases of EEG. Prolonged EEG recording over 48-72 hours may help in these cases.
3. TIA- transient ischemic attacks- due to lack of blood flow to brain, also called as minor strokes. This can be diagnosed by Brain MRI and angiogram.

Normal investigations in him have excluded major diseases, but still, as discussed above, the last two could still be possibly related to his symptoms.
I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog:
Follow-up: Have giddiness, attack of indigestion and rash from neurological medication. Solution? 3 days later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. We appreciate highly.
We would like to know that since Brain CT scan has not yielded anything will a brain MRI help? Dr. Suvro Banerjee of Apollo, Kolkata has also diagnosed this as syncope. One thing is of particular interest to us is every incident is preceded by some form of indigestion. Is there any connection. He is generally constipated.

We shall be grateful is you can answer this.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

MRI of brain with angiogram would definitely be helpful in further evaluation.

There is most likely no connection between his indigestion and neurological symptoms.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)