Have gestational diabetes, taking insulin injections. Blood sugar not lowering. Do I need higher insulin dose?

I recently found out I had gestational diabetes. I am 37 weeks pregnant and just started taking insulin injections 3 days ago. However, my blood sugar has not lowered even with my diet change, regular excercise and the 3 shots of insulin I take a day. Is it possible that I need a stronger dose of insulin?
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 36 minutes later

Yes, if your sugar levels are significantly high, then surely your doctor can increase your dosage.Generally with some trail and error doctor is able to fix up an appropriate dose for you.

As a word of caution, it is strongly suggested not make changes in insulin dosage on your own.

Hope this answers your question.Regards.
Follow-up: Have gestational diabetes, taking insulin injections. Blood sugar not lowering. Do I need higher insulin dose? 15 minutes later
I find that my sugar levels are extremely high in the mornings. Some mornings it has been over 200 an hour after I eat. Is there something I can do to help with that? I've switched from skim milk to almond milk, white bread to a high fiber bread and cut out juices all together. But my breakfast sugar levels remain very high.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
You have already made necessary changes in your diet.I guess exercise won't be possible for at this stage.So adjusting insulin dose remains a effective way to bring sugar levels down.Most other measures are long term measures and won't be suitable at this stage.

Post-delivery it will be easy to manage sugar levels.