Have genital herpes, had unprotected sex. Worried about partner getting infected

HIV AIDS Specialist
I'm a 38 year old male with Genital Herpes (2years). Last weekend I met a woman and had unprotected sex with her. For 2 years I've avoided relationships and now I am worried that this woman may have picked up something even though I have no symptoms currently. I am thinking about telling her next week so she can get checked out. I feel like the worst person in the world. I'm afraid that if we end up having a relationship she will eventually get it too. What is your experience of this Dr?
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later

I UNDERSTAND your concern about your sexual partner.

There are many many husbands with Genital Herpes living with their spouse without infecting them.

As you have currently no symptoms there are very little chance for your partner to acquire the infection. Recent episodes of Herpes with viral shedding are more contagious. In women only the infection and the recurrent episodes may remain asymptomatic or not been revealed and likely to produce the infection to the partner. In men quite often the episodes are obvious.

In your case as you don't have the symptoms till recently, you need not worry yourself of infecting your partner.

Here afterwards try to follow safe sex as far as possible.

Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Have happy day.

Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Have genital herpes, had unprotected sex. Worried about partner getting infected 15 hours later
Very many thanks for that. I have a follow up question please.

Do you think I need to reveal my condition(Genital Herpes) to my local GP? I only know I have it from the awful symptoms I had. I am afraid to face him. Can he do a blood test to confirm I have this virus?

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later

Pleased to answer your feedback question.

You need not disclose your previous episodes of Genital Herpes to your Family Physician as it is not going to give any trouble to your general health and not going to manifest any other manifestation.

Routine blood examinations will not reveal this problem. He will not tend to do specific blood test for the same unless indicated.

If your wife has repeated abortions or if you have symptoms of encephalitis (brain Fever), this test may be indicated. Otherwise no need. So forget about the past episode and enjoy the present days happily.

Dr S.Murugan