Have genital herpes. How to treat it, suggest?

i am women of 39 i have just been told i have genital herpes.
im devasted. im divorced of one year,and have been with my patrner now of four months.
i have never had anything like this before. the more i read about it the more i feel its the end of the world. can you give me any advice and how i may have got this
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 22 minutes later
Genital herpes is mostly sexually transmitted.You have quite possibly gotten it through sexual contact.However,its not the end of the world.It can be treated with medicines.You will need a course of antibiotics.Antiviral drugs like acyclovir etc need to be taken for 7-10 days depending on the grade of the disease.Your partner needs to be treated also.One important thing to remember is that the infection may recur in the future in case of dormant disease.Hence suitable precautions need to be taken.
I suggest that you avoid sexual contact for some time until you are healed.And start taking the antiviral medicines.
without further delay.
Follow-up: Have genital herpes. How to treat it, suggest? 53 minutes later
my own gp told me my partner would not need to be treated
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 19 hours later
Since this is a sexually transmitted disease,its recommended that the partner be advised about the possibility of infection,and hence, treatment.