Have genetic problems with teeth and height. Can this be transferred to baby?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hi Dr.
I had recently delivered a baby on 1 Nov 12. Now she is 4 months old.
I had a genetic problem in my teeth & height. The quality of my teeth is not good. They afe dark brown in colour & broke very easily if having some hard food like sugarcane/grams etc. Had done crowning on my teeth in yr 2006. Though my real teeth are hidden under the crown but I am afraid if my daughter can have this genetic problem from my side. My height is also very short. it is 4.7 feet, but my husband is tall, he is 5.9 feet. I am also afraid of my baby's groth if she could not take my height. When she was born, her height was 49 cm & wt. was 3.4 kg.
Dr. had given me the delivery date of 2 nov 12, & I had delivered my child on 1 Nov 12. Had completed the full pregnancy cycle.
Dr plz help me, I dont want my genetic problem transfers to my daughter as I had received the genetic problem from my father as he is 5 feet tall & have same brown teeth.
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. K. C. Pant 1 hour later

You need not be worried about your newly born baby. As you have written your husband has good height, your baby must have received good healthy genetic matter. And therefore her height will be predicted very good as it will be average of the parent's height.

Regarding teeth and height regular routine checkup in pediatrician clinic can be monitored and any earliest problem can be detected by clinical and radiological tests, if clinician feel about it at the same time biochemical investigations regarding bone development can be monitored.

I will advise you that you give your baby enough breast milk, supplementation of nutrients at right age, give exposure to sunlight so that gets natural vitamin -D. Also timely vaccination and advises given by pediatrician must be followed strictly. When child grows and all teeth have erupted get a dentist's consultation for healthy care of teeth.

With all these measures your baby is going to have healthy growth and development.