Ask a Dentist   »  

Have genetic problem with teeth and height. What are the chances of newborn getting affected?

Hi Dr.
I had recently delivered a baby on 1 Nov 12. Now she is 4 months old.
I had a genetic problem in my teeth & height. My teeth are very weak. They are dark brown in colour & broke very easily9layers of my teeth chipped off on eating hard food) if having some hard food like sugarcane/grams etc. Had done crowning on my teeth in yr 2006. Though my real teeth are hidden under the crown but I am afraid if my daughter can have this genetic problem from my side. My height is also very short. it is 4.7 feet, but my husband is tall, he is 5.9 feet. I am also afraid of my baby's growth if she could not take my height. When she was born, her height was 49 cm & wt. was 3.4 kg.
Dr. had given me the delivery date of 2 nov 12, & I had delivered my child on 1 Nov 12. Had completed the full pregnancy cycle.
Dr plz help me, I dont want my genetic problem transfers to my daughter as I had received the genetic problem from my father as he is 5 feet tall & have same brown teeth.
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 2 days later

I have read your concern.

First of all let me inform you that transfer of genetic factors from parents to their children cannot be altered or changed by anybody.

Your teeth are affected with Enamel hypoplasia.
Factors causing hypoplastic teeth are-
1. Hereditary
2. Environmental.
3. Nutritional deficiency-Vitamin A, C and D.
4. Exanthematous diseases-eg, measles, chickenpox, scarlet fever.
5. Congental syphilis
6. Hypocalcemia
7. Birth injury, prematurity, Rh hemolytic disease
8. Local infection or trauma.
9. Ingestion of fluids-chiefly fluorides.
10. Idiopathic causes.

The only resolution is to take some precaution measures in your baby's case.
The time of eruption of first milk teeth is 6 months.
I would suggest you to -

1. Include plenty of nutritious XXXXXXX food into your diet since it can provide your baby nutritious XXXXXXX breast milk.
2. Take plenty of water, fluids and calcium supplements.
3. Try to include milk, eggs,
4. Please stop the use of fluoridated water if you practice.
6. Include citrus fruits like lemon, orange etc. and leafy vegetables.
7. Be careful in your baby's case, getting affected with exanthematous diseases like measles, chicken pox, scarlet fever etc.
8. Local infection or trauma has to be prevented.

Make sure that you are following the above mentioned diet in your routine practice to have healthy breast milk for your baby.

Since your baby is only of 4 months old now, and did not get any teeth erupted, at this point nothing can be predicted regarding his teeth.

Regarding the height of your baby, pituitary hormones are determining the height of an individual. So even though exercises and work-outs help a little to stimulate the growth, ultimately it depends on genetic factors.

Please do not be so concerned at this point of time, since anxiety and stress can affect your breast feeding .

I wish you and your baby a healthy life.