Have gastritis symptoms. Rashes found on inner lining of stomach. Do I need to do gastroscopy often?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I recently had a gastroscopy and besides a removal of a polyp, a rash on the inner lining of my stomach - what would the reason or diagnosis of a rash on the lining of my stomach be. I believe i have symptoms of gastritis as suffer from bloated and sore stomach from time to time
should a colonoscopy and/or gastroscopy be done periodically to check for more polyps? I work in communal areas in Africa and wonder whether i have some sort of bacterial infection which flares up from time to time. In addition could it be something that i eat which aggravates my stomach?
Posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
First, polyps are benign lesions of stomach,and you usually are caused by inflammatory process. 2 types of polyps exist, adenomatous and hyperplastic.The first one can show malignant alteration,this possibility is small,but it is recommended ro remove it endoscopically every time it is noticed,especailly if it is more than 2cm in length. I suppose this was sent for an analysis.
Rash is definitely in most cases sign of gastritis. Rarely it can be beginning of something more serious so biopsy of it should also be taken(i hope your doctor didi it). Also testing for Helicobater pylori is a routine today.
Bloating, heartburn, breathing difficulties and nausea are often symtoms of gastritis. It should be managed by medicines and lifehabbits changes and usually people are very satisfied with treatment.
It is aggravated by certain food such as: coffee, alcohol, spicy food, fats, bitter fruit and drinks, carbonated drinks. Helpful can be easier food, milk products,fresh vegetables, boiled food etc.
Polyps develop through few years,there is no need to do gastroscopy often. You can do it in a 2-3 years or if your symptoms get worse. Colonosocopy is something else. There is a higher incidence of polyps in colon in your case, and those polyps are more possible to become malignant than those gastric ones.
So it is recommended in most developed countries for men +50 age to do colonoscopy at least once in 10 years, rectoscopy 1 in 5 years, check blood in stool once a year and do digitorectal exam once a year.
This isnt easy in Africa, but in your case I would suggest you to do colonoscopy, if nothing suspicous is found,repeat it in 5-8 years. This would rule out all your concerns about polyps.
P.s. This all might sound serious,but possibility for malignancy is very small despite the fact that colorectal and stomach cancer are most comon after lungs cancers.
I ve just mentined how should the optimal prevention look like.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"
Follow-up: Have gastritis symptoms. Rashes found on inner lining of stomach. Do I need to do gastroscopy often? 20 hours later
Thank you for your very informative reply. It appears that the doctors locally have in general done what you recommend and suggest. I do not believe however that a biopsy was taken of the rash the lining the stomach. Something that may be related and i would appreciate your opinion on is that from time to time a rash appears all over my body and that often seems to be associated with stomach sensitivity. Could these be related? My doctor has recommended a follow up gastroscopy a year after the first one (due in September). What should i be asking him to test for.
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 24 minutes later
Hi again.
Well if he didnt take biopsy maybe even better because on repeated gastroscopy in a year he can see is there progression of this rash. And yes, it can be caused by food allergy. Gastric mucosa react on the same way as you skin when it is in contact with certain alergenes, even respiratory ones. You can try to do all those allergy tests,but in many cases specific one cant be found. I would prescribe you some of proton pump inhibitors just to see will there be less pain and stomach bloating. If it doesnt help then some bowel disorders such as IBD or inflammatory diseases or biliary colics should be considered. But all this sounds like it is related to gastritis which should improve by dietary changes.