Have gastric reflux due to a small hiatus hernia. Feeling bruise between shoulder blade. Solution?

Jan 2013

I have recently noticed a bruised feeling inside my back between my shoulder blades when swallowing. I do suffer from gastric reflux due to a small hiatus hernia and have been under a great deal of stress.I haven't been looking after my diet real well and get breakthrough of acid regurgitation even though I'm on nexium. this feeling is more pronounced when having cold stuff. I don't feel anything when i move.
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 46 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned one.
Do you have acidic belching/ excessive flatulence/ abdominal bloating?
Are you a smoker?
What medication are you taking for hypertension and control of arthritic pain?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of Esophageal (food pipe) ulcers.
Esophageal ulcers has typical history of pain during swallowing along with radiation to back.
All these upper gastrointestinal symptoms are collectively called as "Dyspepsia".

Dyspepsia could be due to peptic ulcer disease, decreased gastrointestinal motility.
Peptic ulcer disease may be in form of chronic gastritis, fundal gastritis, nodular gastritis, follicular gastritis and gastric & duodenal ulcer, adenocarcinoma of stomach and GERD (all these disease are diagnosed by endoscopy).
Helicobacter pylori bacteria is responsible for peptic ulcer treatment and eradication is essential for complete relief.

Decreased gastrointestinal motility could be due to thyroid disorders, diabetes and age related.
Dyspepsia may also be precipitated by intake of few medications such as NSAIDs for relief of pain and antihypertensive medications.
Smoking increases acid production in stomach with increased possibility of gastric problems.

You should consult with your treating doctor/ XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for complete hemogram, thyroid profile and blood sugar, urea breath test for H. Pylori bacteria.
If urea breath test is found to be positive then you must have to take treatment against Helicobacter pylori bacteria.
You should also go for repeat endoscopy for better clarification.

Meanwhile, you should take proton pump inhibitors along with prokinetics (which increase gastrointestinal motility).

Kindly follow these dietary restrictions:
1) Avoid tomatoes, citrus fruits, onion, garlic, oily and spicy food (particularly at night times), tea and coffee.
2) Keep difference of 3 hours between meals and sleep.
3) Take soft diet along with yogurt.
4) Take frequent small amount meals.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Have gastric reflux due to a small hiatus hernia. Feeling bruise between shoulder blade. Solution? 1 hour later
I don't have excessive wind , flatulence and bloating . I am a non smoker.
medications are -atacand 8mgs for my blood pressure. and celebrex 100mgs for my arthritis daily. I also have panadol oesteo 2 tds
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Medication which you are taking is less associated with gastric side effects.
You should go for above advised investigations and medicines.
Let me know the results.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava