Have gas pain in lower abdomen. After having prescribed rabeprazole and itopride, stool levels are disturbed. Why?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am having gastic pain in lower abdomin particularly at night. doctor prescribed Rabeprozole 20mg + Itopride 150mg SR Capsules. When I taken this medicine my stool levles disturbed and motioins started. Doctor please advise me.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 37 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

Pain in lower abdomen relieved after passing stool is usually due to constipation .The doctor has
prescribed antacid rabeprazole and prokinetic Itopride. the itopride increases the motion of your gut therefore increasing stool frequency.

If with these medications your pain is relieved then you can continue it for five days and then stop to see if your problem recurs again.

But if pain is not relieved and you are having loose motion please stop the medication and consult your doctor again for a thorough check up and some investigation like ultrasound abdomen which might help in diagnosing the exact problem.

If you have any other symptoms like weight loss, loss of apetite i.e not feelin hungry, blood or mucus in stool, burning pain in chest not releived with antacids, or fever then please consult a gastroenterologist who is a specialist doctor for gastric problems. you can find doctor in your locality through find a doctor application on this site.

Hope I have answered your query.

I'll be available for any follow up queries.