Have gallbladder removed. Facing bowel problem. How to get cure?

Hello, Ive had a gallbladder removed over a year now an still have those annoying bathrm issues and have tried just about everything I could get my hands. I watch what I eat but even the healthy foods are just as bad. I remember the doctor telling me if I need help because I will no longer have that gallbladder, that he could give me something to help. could you please tell me the options if any what this maybe before I have to schelule pay money ect. looking to save me time for I work long hours
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

You are one of those minority of patients who develop what is called "Bile Salt Diarrhea” which is seen after the gallbladder is removed. The gallbladder acts as storage organ and releases small amounts of bile during the digestive process. Even though the gallbladder is no longer there, your liver continues to produce bile which is now drained directly into the intestine. The bile salts can irritate the lining and cause diarrhea.

In most patients this is temporary and the body gets used to it. In some it could be a problem like in your case.

The remedy that is suggested is to use a drug that can bind the bile salt and prevent irritation. This drug is Cholestyramine. It comes in powder form and you can mix it with food or drinks and taken three or four times a day, helps your problem. But the drug needs a doctor’s prescription. Please talk to your doctor about this and he or she will be able to help.

Try to avoid excess fatty, greasy or fried foods in the meantime.

I wish you the very best.