Have gained weight and right side is numb. Underlying cause?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have gained 30 pounds in the last 4 months and the last two days my right side has been numb and tingly. what could it be?
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 18 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
If there was not significant dieatry change then this weight gaining can indicate some hormonal disorders so this is the first thing that you should check. Most common there are thyroid and steroid hormonal imbalance so you need to measure your thyroid and estrogen hormonal levels too.
Numbness can be seen in healthy people after emotional stress or anxiety. rarely it can indicate some nerve disorders(neuropathies) or brain diseases. YOu should find B vitamin supplements and take it for a while as this is most important vitamin for nerves. If symptoms persist you need to do neurologic work up and head scan.
If there is numbness only in specific position or after exercise then there can be nerve compression at the neck or spine. It should be checked by ct or ultrasound. Till that try to do neck and back stretching exercises.
WIsh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards
Follow-up: Have gained weight and right side is numb. Underlying cause? 6 minutes later
the weight gain is all in my stomach. I look like I am six months pregnant but not. The numbness is only from my rib cage down to my butt.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 42 hours later
YOu should first check is your stomach swelling caused by weight gaining ur there is some other cause. It can be water in stomach, bloated stomach or some intraabdominal pathology. You should first do ultrasound to evaluate this. And check those hormones I ve mentioned.
Numbness can indicate some vitamins defficinecy or neuropathy. YOu should try with massage or chiro first and take B vitamin supplements. If there is no improvement you might need some specific neurologic testing. Regards