Have fybromyalgia. Feeling cured after taking duromine

HI there, I currently have fybromyalgia, and I have found that my duromine helps with these symptoms. I am wondering if would be able to get duromine prescribed for this??
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

Duromine is internationally classified as a 'scheduled' drug, which means that it can be obtained only with the prescription of a doctor and is its use is approved only for specific conditions. This is because it is a 'stimulant' medication and has amphetamine-like properties. Duromine is approved for use for the short-term treatment of obesity, when combined with exercise, diet and behavioural modification. The mechanism of action is by increasing the release of certain neuro-chemicals called 'catecholamines' which in turn supress your appetite and increase your metabolism. At present, Duromine is neither indicated or approved for the treatment of fibromyalgia and hence, you are unlikely to get it prescribed for this.

I understand that in your case, you have experienced an improvement in your fibromyalgia symptoms after taking Duromine, but since it is has not been scientifically proven and approved for use in this condition, it is not prescribed for this.

Moreover, you have mentioned that you also have an anxiety problem. Duromine has to be used with caution in people who have anxiety or other psychological problems. Sometimes, it cause mood changes and increased anxiety or agitation, since it is basically a stimulant medication and can have effects on mood and behaviour. Also, fibromyalgia is a chronic condition and if you are on a stimulant medication for long periods of time, there is a possibility of getting habituated or 'dependent' on it.

There are other medication which have been proven effective and approved for the treatment of fibromyalgia (like Duloxetine, trcyclic anti-depressants, pregabalin, etc.) which could be of benefit to you. Please consult your doctor regarding these other options.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist