Have fungal skin infection on forearms, knees and near toe area. Infected on some part of body. Suggest the medication?

Hello Dir,

I have got fungal skin infection on my forearms, knees and near toe area. It is itching and getting scales as well. Also infected on some other part of the body where the itching occurs. kindly prescribe the medicine.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
one needs to sure that it is a fungal infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) How long you have been having this?
2) Did you apply any cream over it & what was the response ?
3) Do you sweat a lot on these areas where you have infection ?
4) Are you allergic to any thing ?
5) Is the problem bilateral (that is on both arms & legs) ?

Answer to these questions would help me understand your problem better.Even a close up picture of the lesion would help me further. So if you can send me a picture of the lesion ,I would appreciate.
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.You can also email the same to YYYY@YYYY with “ATTN: ” in the subject line.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted ,there seems to be two possibilities.
Either it could be a fungal infection or a allergic reaction(eczema) .

If it is a fungal infection I usually prefer anti fungal tablets like tab terbinafin daily for at-least 4 weeks or tablet fluconazole weekly dose for 4 weeks.
Along with this I also prefer giving topical anti fungal creams like terbinafin cream or ketoconazole cream.

If it is a allergic reaction or an eczema then I would prefer a steroid cream like clobetasole prpionate cream with neomycin cream over the lesion.I prescribe oral steroid only if the lesions are very sever .

In both the conditions you can take oral antihistaminic tablet like cetrizine (10mg) once daily to control itching .

If you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.