Have fungal infection in navel. Applied Clotrimazole. Have diabetes. No pain or itching. What medication to take?

Jan 2013

Hi, I am 34 yrs old and I am a diabetic since 6 yrs. I am having this fungal infection in the navel for quite some time. Initially I had taken Clotrimazole(if i remember correctly) and it had reduced, later on it has again started and I have it now since 3 yrs(on and off basis). There is no pain and no itching but please advise as to what medication could be taken to remove it. Thanks.
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 31 minutes later
Yes, its true.....diabetic patients are prone for infection.
Do You have undergone skin scraping KOH mount preparation for suspected fungal infection?
Do you have ever consulted with dermatologist?
Do you have other abdominal problems apart from this navel infection?
Are your blood sugar contrrolled or in higher range?
For how many days, you have taken treatment for fungal infection?
You should consult with dermatologist and should go for KH mount preparation. Fungus of any type is diagnosed by this simple preparation.
You should take both oral and topical treatment for fungus infection for minimum 21 days.
If fungus is not the cause then you should go for exploratory laparoscopy for clarify inside of navel for any pathology.
Put your views if any.
Best regards,
Dr.Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Have fungal infection in navel. Applied Clotrimazole. Have diabetes. No pain or itching. What medication to take? 10 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for your inputs.
I have not undergone KOH mount preparation for suspected fungal infection.
I have not consulted a dermatologist and there are no other abdominal issues apart from this navel infection.
My blood sugar is not perfectly normal - It's like 120-125 FBS, and 155 PPBS. My last HBA1C was near normal, around 6.5.
My earlier treatment for fungal infection was for 10 days.

So as suggested I would go for a dermatologist but, as I'm travelling for a month, if there is any topical treatment which you could suggest now would be good.

Best Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
You can apply terbinafine or ketaconazole/ clotrimazole ointment topically for improvement.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava