Have frequent painful muscle spasms in fingers, toes, calfs and thighs?

I have frequent painful muscle spasms in my fingers toes cllfs and thighs?
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go through possibilities,investigate to find cause

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

I understand how this can be troubling, but I think it is necessary to understand the causes for frequent muscle spasms, in order to adequately address/treat them. Let us look into the most common causes for the same:
-Dehydrated (keep yourself well hydrated)
-Low mineral levels (eg. potassium, calcium, etc.)
-Certain forms of exercise on a frequent basis (eg. swimming, tennis, golf, bowling, etc.)
-Medication (not mentioned in your medical history, but should be considered)
-Thyroid abnormalities (requires a thyroid profile test)
-Kidney-related conditions (can be checked with the help of a blood test called renal function test)

I hope you understand why it is important to find the cause; once the cause is found, we can accurately treat you. You could start off with adequate hydration and by introducing fruits XXXXXXX in potassium (eg. bananas, etc), milk and other dairy products; and if your presentation does not disappear, then you might have to visit your doctor to go about a few tests ma'am.

I hope you found my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

God bless.