Have frequent headaches, migraines and dizziness with pins and needles in hands and legs. Cause?

Question
I have frequent headaches, migraines every 2 or 3 weeks and severe dizziness , not always at the same time as the bad heads. I also have pins and needles in hands and my legs ache badly. . . What do you think maybe causing this or what I should be tested for? XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Diabetes,arthritis,alcohol,vitamins deficiency

Detailed Answer:

With regards to your headaches and migraines, the only thing you can do is to avoid the culprit of falling you into migraine or headache (including parfume or chemicals, drugs, foods, etc.).

You can take pain killers (especially formulated for migraine) when you might realize you are going to have an attack.

Next, dizziness might be related to arthritis in the neck area of the spinal cord or even to headache. Warm clothing of the neck and vertigo drugs (anti-hystamines, etc.) can help.

With regards to pins and needles in your hands, I would say that usually, they are temporary due to pressure that do not allow blood to flow normally in the hands. This impedes "nutrition" supply to nerves, which "reacts" through pins and needles.

However, I would like to go deeper in your case. So, I'd like to know if you

- suffer from diabetes,

- have high blood pressure,

- if you do use alcohol regularly,

- do you eat healthy and balanced foods.

- are you taking any other drug for other purposes?

Therefore, you should:

- test the glucose level ; fasting, random, 2 hours after eating and HbA1C to monitor your glycemia.

- perform lipid profile testing

- can perform a X-ray of regional area (hands)

Meanwhile, I would recommend to:

- eat healthy

- take supplement with vitamin B complex (which contain B12, a vitamin the deficiency of which has shown to be related to such problems) + minerals (bones and joints support supplement)

- if you are diabetic - be sure to take good control of your blood sugar levels.

- apply topical pain-killer creams

- massage and keep the affected area warm

- If X-ray shows any possible problems such as compressed ulnar nerve, carpal tunnel syndrome, talk to your neurologists for the best treatment.

With regards to the aching of your legs, most probably they might be related to :

- sciatica (perform X-ray of lower back area)

- vitamins deficiency and malnutrition

- lack of physical activity (if you do no keep in movement)

- arthritis.

Looking forward to have your medical data in for further evaluation.

All the best!