Have frequent diarrhea, stools with mucus or fatty spots. Help

General Surgeon
I am having frequent diarrhea, sometimes with mucus or fatty spots in my stool if the outburst is really bad. I have suffered for long of so-called irritable bowel syndrome. Thank you for your help. Email address: YYYY@YYYY .

Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

How exactly was your IBS diagnosed? What examinations have you had? I`m asking that because IBS diagnosed can be set only if all other digestive tract diseases are ruled out. And have you tried any medicines?

Fatty stools, diarrhea and mucos in stool might be caused by some pancreas disease. So it is very important to have at least fool blood work with pancreas enzymes. Mucus in stool can be also caused by some inflammatory intestines disease such as Crohn`s disease or ulcerative colitis. To diagnose it, colonoscopy with samples histopathology should be performed.
Such symptoms should not be neglected as it is always possibility of large intestine cancer.

IBS is a very complicated disease with is very often misdiagnosed. Here are just some of tests that should be performed before IBS diagnose: GI endoscopy, colonoscopy, small intestine CT with contrast (enterolcysis), stool tests for parasites, fool blood work with liver and pancreas exams, heart disease checkup, thyroid disease checkup. Some IBS are depression/anxiety related and should be treated with anti-depresants.

Feel free to ask further questions.