Have frequent backache, increases during periods and get pimples before periods. Advise?

Mar 2016

I have frequent backache. This increases during the first or 3rd day of my periods.
Also, get pimple just before my periods. I am mother of 2 year old son. I sleep by putting my bed on the floor. Please help for my backpain or my periods
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow the suggestive measures.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Following are my suggestions:

1) Increased backache during period may be related to Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) or dysmenorrhea (primary or secondary). Other causes are endometriosis, sciatica, muscle spasm etc. Here, you need one clinical examination and one ultrasound scan (USG) to elicit possible etiology.

>> You can follow some basic suggestive measures to reduce this type of problem:

a) You can take paracetamol or other NSAID (like Ibuprofen with antacid (Ranitidine) - a couple of days prior to starting of menstruation.

b) Do light exercise regularly. Studies show that women who exercise on a regular basis have less painful menstrual cramps and low back pain.

c) Maintain a healthy diet and take nutritional supplements with vitamin B complex & calcium. Avoid caffeine and chocolate including salty foods from 2nd half of cycle.

d) Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated. Apply local hot compression by hot water bag or take warm baths.

e) If your backache is not relieved by above measures, kindly consult with your gynecologist to proceed with a Ultrasound scan & other relevant investigation. You may require birth control pills to get relief from low back pain during period or other days.

2) Acne or pimple is also a common problem in reproductive age group women. Follow The Basic Routine Skin Care to eliminate pimple or acne problem:

a) Cleansing regularly- by soap-free face wash (2-3 times) to maintain essential oils in skin and promote a healthy glow.

b) Moisturizing properly and use Sun Protection Cream - with at least SPF 15.

c) Apply clindamycin or benzoyl peroxide 5% containing topical cream at bed time regularly.

Kindly, consult with your local dermatologist regarding this and take a proper prescription. In addition, you would take balanced diet with anti-oxidant supplement (vitamin-E, C, zinc etc), drink more water/ fruit juice, avoid mental stress, keep bowel habit regular and take sound sleep.

Hope, above information is helpful to you. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen