Have frenulum breve. Is there any treatment other than circumcision?

Hi doctor, I think I have frenulum breve and i don't want to undergo complete circumcision. Is there any other treatment available including surgery and what would be the cost?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

You are right about the diagnosis of your condition, it could probably be frenulum breve based on its appearance.

Treatment of frenulum breve is by surgery but not always circumcision, plastic surgeries like Frenuloplasty is a better procedure with great success where the surgeon splits the required part of the skin and sutures in a required way to correct the defect.

There is another less invasive procedure where threading a suture through the lower membrane, and then tying a tight knot around the frenulum is done. In here after a few days the frenulum will weaken and eventually break apart to allow the prepuce to fully retract.

In minor degrees of frenulum breve steroid creams like Betamethasone Dipropionate 0.5% is used. The success of the medical method is less, needing surgery eventually in many.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Have frenulum breve. Is there any treatment other than circumcision? 4 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I am based in India and I think so are you. Could you guide me about the costs involved in the surgery and also that should I consult a urologist for the same or a plastic surgeon?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You will have to consult a Urologist for the above problem.

Cost differs in different hospitals. The cost may average up to around 10,000 rupees.

Wish you good health.