Have freckles and several moles on body. Started spreading. No history of skin cancer. Safe remedy?

General Surgeon
Hi. I am a 41 year old woman. I have always have many freckles and several moles on my body. In recent months a mole on my face/lower cheek has increased (doubled) in size and become more pronouced. Light brown colour has remained the same.
I have no history of skin cancers, but my 65yr old father has had many carcinomas and melanomas.Any reason to be concerned. It is very prominant and has hair growning from it and I am considering having it removed. what do you recommend?
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

If the mole changes its size and becomes more pronounced, it should be removed and examined by histopatologist. The risk of Melanoma is usually low, however increases with shape or size change.
The best solution in such cases is to:
Visit dermatologist who has some kind of microscope(dermatoscope). He will examine your moles and decide which should be removed for histopathologic tests.
The mole can be simply removed with small incision and small scar.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.