Have fracture in malleoulus. Put on plaster cast, walking with crutches. Is it okay hop instead of crutches. Suggest

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
hiii i have fractured my medial malleoulus in the right leg and im 12 days post-op and hav been put in a plaster cast and been walking on crutches but most of the times i hop to speed things up likr going to bathroom living room
i was wondering is it safe to hop instead of crutches and will the motion caused by the hop to my ankle good or bad
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 28 minutes later

There is no harm to hop instead of crutches. Main thing is that you have to not put weight on the affected limb. As you have been put in a plaster cast, so there would be no any movement at ankle during hop.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
I would be glad to help if needed.

Follow-up: Have fracture in malleoulus. Put on plaster cast, walking with crutches. Is it okay hop instead of crutches. Suggest 21 minutes later
one more question sir, ive been almost 2 weeks post op and some times it doesnt swell even if i dont elevate my ankle, so should i elevate my ankle even if its not swelling
thanks in advance

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

I suggest you to elevate your limb and actively move your toes most of the time even if there is no swelling.
Continuous hanging causes congestion of veins and hence dependent swelling.

I hope that clears your doubts.