Have foul odor in nose after neti pot treatments. Had sinus surgery. Having recurring sinus issues. What to do?

Question
I get a yucky odor in my nose. This has happened twice over the last month. After a few neti pot treatments, I blow out what looks like a pea and the odor goes away. I have had sinus surgery twice over the years. Always get a lot of drainage.
Posted Sat, 6 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient

most likely the foul odor comes from metablism by anaerobic bacteria in a closed space. the pea like structure is probably a mix of debris mucus white cells and bacteria and the shape suggests that it is forming within a rounded space like the ostium of the paranasal sinuses. I would encourage toy to visit your ENT doctor who can view the issue endoscopically and see if further surgery is needed

yours truly

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Follow-up: Have foul odor in nose after neti pot treatments. Had sinus surgery. Having recurring sinus issues. What to do? 41 minutes later
Are you thinking that I will need surgery to enlarge the area so the mucus and bacteria does not collect?

Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 8 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

that is certainly one potential outcome if there is an area if impaired drainage, surgery could be needed to relieve it