Have fordyce granules on penis. Applied neosporine. No pain and no pus. Help?

Hi, I have had fordyce granules on my penis for about 7 years of my life. I am 25 years old. about 5 days ago one was a bit inflamed so i squeezed it thinking it was a pimple, it got inflamed so was not sure so i applied neosporine. 2 days later i got another one. Im not sure what is going on. I have the same sex partner since i have been married. What can it be, it not painful and there is no pus. I few days later i got down with the flu but not sure if it was a co-incidence as i know that if there is flu and lesions= herpes. Please help me.
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query

Fordyce spots are small, painless, pale red or white bumps 1 to 3 mm in diameter that may appear on the scrotum, shaft of the penis or on the labia, or the lips of the mouth. They are not related to std nor are caused by std.

The absence of pus nor pains supports the fact that what you have is more of fordyce spots rather than infection.

Viral infections generally could present with flu but that is not the case in all situations and the flu you have could be as well not related.

Herpes presents with vesicular eruptions then sores and is painful unlike what you are describing that are painless. As such, it is less likely that what you have is Herpes. However, only a good physical examination by a doctor and a few tests would give a definite answer.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to respond.
Best regards