Have folliculitis, pus-filled bump. Applied Clindamycin lotion. How to get rid of this?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I was diagnosed with folliculitis due to shaving my genital area. I just squeezed a bump and out came puss and hair. I was given clindamycin lotion as a topical antiniotic. I have two smal bumps left that wont go away. How do I get rid of this? It's humiliating.
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 57 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
It is not uncommon to have skin infection after shaving, especially in genital area.
It happens when small wound is made while shaving and then bacteria called Staphylococcus from skin contaminate this small wound. Second mechanism is when one hair folicule invert and become infected.
So beside carefuly shaving you can apply some of antiseptic losionts right after shaving. When folliculitis already occur those antibiotic lotions you ve mentioned in most cases wont be helpful because puss must be drained by sqeezing as you did or by minor surgical procedure.
Bumps in that area aren caused only by infection. It can be sign of swollen lymph node, lipoma, atheroma or other benign skin lesions.
WIsh I ve been helpful. If you have any question be free to ask.