Have foliculitus on scrotum and base of penis. No relief from antifungal cream and pills. What to do?

I have foliculitus on my scrotum and base of penis for a few years. I saw a doctor over a year ago. He prescribed me antifungal cream and pills. Didnt work. What do i do
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
A folliculitis cannot persist for so long. It could be a sebaceous cyst or molluscum contagiosum.

Molluscum contagiosum is a viral infection characterised by pearly white or skin colored dome shaped bumps.
Sebaceous cyst is a cyst underneath skin containing a cheesy oily material.

I would be in a better position to answer, if you could attach an image of concerned area.

Hoping to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Have foliculitus on scrotum and base of penis. No relief from antifungal cream and pills. What to do? 1 hour later
I have uploaded a few pictures. The middle one of the base of my penis. There is actually little white scars. Alot of the scars have hairs coming out of them. The hair folicoles seem raised on my scrotum. Some times my whole scrotum is red. Doesnt itch but sensitive. Worse when i sweat too
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 41 hours later
I have gone through the images attached.
The lesions at the base of your penis are nothing but fordyce spots. These spots are ectopic sebaceous cysts and are benign but can be cosmetically unpleasant.
As far as your scrotum is concerned, it appears to have normal rugosity.

Sometimes the hair follicles, sebaceous or oil glands are prominent over scrotum and shaft penis but it is a normal phenomenon. So there is nothing to be worried about.

The features of itching, redness and burning sensation over scrotum are suggestive for intertrigo. Sometimes sweat, soap, detergent or clothes too can irritate the skin to cause itch.
To treat the same take tablet cetrizine for few days. Dust the area with antifungal powder twice in a day and apply steroid cream over red itchy area. Also try to avoid sweat in that area by wearing loose cotton underclothes.

Hope that helps. Should there be another query, please write back.