Have flutter in ear. Feel very uncomfortable. What can be done?

Hi,i i have flutter in my left ear for about three months now.It's there every day but not all the time and it's very uncomfortable.I thought it might be ear wax but it's not as i bought the drops for wax and it didnt clear it.Do you know what could it be?
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Wax could be a possible cause as you rightly thought. I am afraid depending on the abundance and adhesiveness of the wax, drops for wax might not always, or most of the time remove it. Standard practice is that after a careful clinical evaluation of the ears with a good ear torch (otoscope), the physician appreciates the abundance of this wax and then proceeds to a removal process. this could range from simple administration of ear wax drops, to more invasive and time consuming procedures. generally, some ear wax fluid is put into the ear for the wax to get softened. Depending on the results of the clinical evaluation, it could stay from a few hours to a day or two in some cases. then using a normal ear flush procedure, your doctor flushes in mild warm water into the ear with special syringes and flushes out the wax.

Other ear conditions might present with similar symptoms. Disease of the inner ear or middle ear (semicircular canals or ear ventricles) could present with such symptoms. Depending on other associated symptoms, presence or absence of vertigo and nausea, diseases like Menier's disease could be diagnosed as such. Any past history of problems with balance shall be actively searched for to exclude an inner ear lesions. Past history of ear infections would also be thoroughly searched for. these are however unlikely in your case, but a careful clinical evaluation is required to be sure none of these pathologies do exist.

The most probable cause should be collection of wax. However, an proper well conducted clinical examination of the ear is needed to appreciate its intensity, and adopt an appropriate management protocol. I strongly suggest you book an appointment with an ENT specialist for clinical appreciation, management and special advice.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health. Kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.